These Salmon Cakes are so amazingly delicious. The sweet potatoes give them a really nice sweet flavor. They are a little higher in fat than some of my other recipes, but that is because it is salmon! Salmon is packed with the amazing omega-3 fatty acids that are so good for your heart! They also reduce inflammation and can help prevent other chronic diseases like diabetes. I never used to like fish, but lately I am finding so many wonderful recipes to incorporate it more into our weekly meal plans.
Sometimes I get concerned about eating fish as many types have too much mercury. If you want to learn more about which fish are good choices, you can get wonderful information from the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch and Recommendations http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations
Makes 12 Salmon Cakes
¼ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1 lb Wild Salmon fillets
2 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Large Eggs
½ cup Almond Flour
¼ cup Chopped Green onions (about 2 whole including stems)
2 tsp Dried Parsely
2 tsp Dried Dill
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Fresh lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Arrange Salmon on a baking sheet and line it with foil and greased. Pour lemon juice on salmon and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the center flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, steam sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes or until they are soft when poked with a fork.
- Wait 10-15 minutes in order to allow the salmon and sweet potatoes to cool off.
- In a large bowl add sweet potatoes and mash them with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Add the salmon, eggs, almond flour, green onions, dried parsley, dried dill, salt, paprika, and pepper to the sweet potatoes.
- Mix all ingredients well. I like to use my hands for this part, but you can also use a fork or potato masher.
- Form into cakes with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup in each cake, it will make 12 cakes.
- You can use the same baking sheet you baked your salmon on. Spray the baking sheet again with cooking spray. Place cakes on baking sheet.
- Melt butter and add 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, stir. Brush over tops of salmon cakes.
- Bake at 425 F for about 20 minutes and flip one time in the middle.