Chicken and Veggie Fried Rice
I love a good fried rice, but they can be so loaded with fats and sugars! This recipe that tastes great, but is also pretty healthy. It is a new twist on an old ethnic favorite which has more vegetables than usual! I love all kinds of food and this one really hits the spot if you love the flavors of Asia! If you like this recipe you might also like this Butter Chicken!
Cooking and Prep time, about 40 minutes
Makes 6 (pretty large) servings
3 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
½ onion finely diced
1 cup chopped green beans
1 yellow squash, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup corn kernels
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and diced
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice, uncooked
1. Cook rice according to directions on package in a medium saucepan.
2. As rice starts to cook, add carrots, onion, and garlic to a food processor and pulse 3-4 times or until chopped.
3. Add carrots, onion, garlic and green beans to the rice when 15 minutes remain.
4. Meanwhile, sauté yellow squash in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet (12” or larger).
3. Add sugar, salt, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce to sautéed onion mixture, stir for 1-2 minutes longer.
4. Add the rice to the skillet and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add beaten eggs and 1 more Tbsp olive oil, stir and cook until eggs are done (about 4-5 minutes).
6. Add chicken and 2 Tbsp soy sauce, stir and heat though (3-4 minutes).
Nutrition Information per Serving: Total Calories: 314, Total Fat: 11.5 g, Total Carbs: 34 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 21 g
Chicken and Veggie Fried Rice
- 3 whole Carrots, peeled
- 1/2 whole Onion, skin removed
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Green Beans, chopped
- 1 whole Yellow squash, sliced and halved (the shape of half-moons)
- 1 cup Corn kernels
- 2 cups Chicken Breast, Cooked and diced (you can also use rotisserie chicken)
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Large Eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Basmati or Jasmine Rice, uncooked
- Cook rice according to directions in a medium saucepan.
- After starting the rice, place carrots, onion, and garlic in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times until chopped.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, and green beans to the rice when there are 15 minutes that remain in rice cooking.
- Meanwhile, sautee yellow squash in 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet for about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce to the squash, stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice mixture to the skillet and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add beaten egg and 1 more Tbsp olive oil. Stir and cook until eggs are done (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add chicken and 2 Tbsp soy sauce and stir until heated through (about 3-4 minutes).
Tips and my two cents:
- You can use other veggies as substitutes without changing the Nutrition Information too much. Other options may include, bell peppers, zucchini squash, bok choy, or kale.
- My husband is allergic to peas so I use corn, but peas are a good substitute for corn and the more traditional way to do fried rice.
- I have used a rotisserie chicken for the chicken in this recipe, and you can do that too, just add about 20 calories per serving (2 grams of fat).
- You could probably do without the sugar in the recipe, since it is so minimal. But the sugar does give the rice a little different flavor, which I LOVE!
- I like to use basmati or jasmine rice because both are medium grain rice which have more fiber content than a typical white rice. I also like them because they are so much more flavorful than white and brown rice.
- This recipe has it all! It’s easy, a good source of protein, and all of your veggies are in your meal. I will often add a salad when I make this, but you wouldn’t have to.