Makes 6 Jambalaya Servings
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 min (stove top option)-4 hours (slow cooker option)
This jambalaya was a hit with my whole family! This one dish meal is gluten-free, high-protein, and delicious and it will leave you completely satisfied! 1 jalapeno in the mix gives it some flavor, but not too much spice. If you are concerned about the spice, you can always just leave it out!
4 Cloves minced garlic
½ White onion, skin removed
1 Jalapeno, stem and seeds removed
1 Red or yellow bell pepper, stem and seeds removed
2 Small Zucchini, sliced or half-moon shape
4 Chicken sausages, sliced and pre-cooked (about ½ lb)
1 Chicken breasts, diced (about 3/4 -1 lb)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Paprika
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups Chicken broth, divided
28 oz Diced tomatoes or 3 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, blended in food processor
1 ½ cups Uncooked Basmati Rice
- Place garlic, white onion, jalapeno, and bell pepper in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times. This option can save tons of time! You can alternatively just dice each item individually.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Place diced chicken breast in the skillet and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until no longer pink, stirring regularly, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes longer until fragrant.
5. Slow cooker option:
Place chicken, sausage and vegetable mixture into slow cooker. Add diced or fresh tomatoes and 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook on High for 4 hours. 20 minutes before you serve, cook your basmati rice in the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring broth to a boil, add rice, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve jambalaya chicken mixture over rice.
OR Stove top option: Place chicken, sausage, and vegetable mixture into a 6-8 quart stock pot. Add diced or fresh tomatoes and 1 cup chicken broth. Cook on medium-high for 30 minutes. If it starts to boil, turn the temperature down slightly to simmer. Meanwhile, bring remaining 3 cups of broth to a boil, add rice. Turn down to medium low and cook covered for 20 minutes. Serve jambalaya chicken mixture over rice.
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- 14 oz Diced tomatoes OR 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, blended in food processor
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium White onion, peel removed
- 1 whole Jalapeno, stem and seeds removed
- 1 whole Red or yellow bell pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 2 small Zucchinis, Cut in slices or half-moons
- 4 Chicken sausages, sliced (precooked)
- 1 Chicken Breast (3/4-1 pound), diced
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Uncooked Basmati or Jasmine Rice
- Place garlic, white onion, jalapeno, bell pepper in food processor and pulse 3-4 times or until veggies are chopped. You can chop by hand also, but using a processor saves you a TON of time!
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Place diced chicken in skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add sliced sausage to skillet and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes). You can use uncooked sausage, and if you do just add it the same time you add the diced chicken.
- Add the zucchini and other chopped veggies from the food processor. Cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- SLOW COOKER OPTION: Place all ingredients from skillet in slow cooker, add tomatoes, 1 cup chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours.20 minutes before serving, cook the rice in the remainder 3 cups of chicken broth. Serve chicken mixture over rice.
- STOVE OPTION: Add tomatoes, chicken broth and rice to skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cover to let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
If you like this recipe, you might also like this Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice!
Nutrition Information per Serving:
370 Calories, 8 g Fat, 42 g Carb, 3 g Fiber, 32 g Protein