Classic Green Chile Stew
Every year when the temperature drops, I start thinking soups and stews. They are such a great way to get a complete meal in one pot! This stew has a wonderful mix of sweet (from the corn) and spicy (from the green chiles). Green chile is one of my favorite ingredients. It is full of vitamins A and C, fiber, and potassium. It also has some powerful antioxidants to help improve your immune system! Most of you know that I grew up in Iowa and I didn’t even know what green chile was until I moved here to New Mexico. Here in New Mexico we are known for our love of green chile.
For this classic green chile stew, you can let it cook low and slow in a slow cooker, or you can cook in on the stovetop. It is simple and easy (about 20 minutes of prep time–depending on how fast you chop) and super versatile!
Did you know? Grass Fed Beef is a little better for you because it has less saturated fat and more unsaturated fats. We prefer the flavor for sure! Also, using a good quality chicken broth is key in this recipe. Use fresh or frozen green chile to give this stew good flavor, but it you can’t find it, canned works OK (for those of you in the mid-west). You can also try using various vegetables in the stew like zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, and even broccoli or cauliflower will work well.
This stew is high protein, gluten free, and can be made easily for a large crowd
Makes 4 LARGE Servings
2 Medium Potatoes (about 8 oz total), chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cups Good Quality Chicken Broth
1 lb. Ground Beef (85 or 90% lean)
1 cup Corn
1 cup Green Chile, roasted and chopped
½ Onion, finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
½ tsp Each of Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper, and Garlic Powder
Tomato, Cilantro, Sour Cream for garnish
- Brown ground beef in stockpot. I like to use the same pot I am going to cook the stew in to save time doing dishes! Drain fat and discard the fat. Return the beef to your pot.
- Add chopped onion to the pot and cook over medium heat until slightly translucent in color (about 3-4 minutes). Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute longer.
- Next, put potatoes, chicken broth, corn, green chile, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into your pot. Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with chopped tomato, cilantro, sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition Info per Serving: 359 Calories, 17 g Total Fat, 26 g Total Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 25 g Protein
Classic Green Chile Stew
- 2 Medium Potatoes (about 8 oz total) chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Lb. Lean Ground Beef (85/15)
- 1 cup Corn
- 1 cup Green Chile, roasted and chopped
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- Tomato, Cilantro, Sour Cream for garnish
- Brown ground beef in stockpot. I like to use the same pot I am going to cook the stew in to save time doing dishes! Drain fat and discard the fat. Keep the beef in your pot.
- Add onion to the pot and cook until slightly translucent in color. Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, corn, green chile, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your pot. Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add chopped tomato, cilantro and sour cream if desired.