This home made vegetable mineral broth is almost magical because it takes all of the wonderful nutrients from all of the amazing vegetables and puts it into a delicious broth that you can use in all of your cooking to help your body heal. I truly believe in the power of good food to make the body well. Using food to really nourish the body well is called functional nutrition. Functional nutrition takes into account all of the systems in the body and formulates a plan for optimal health and well being.
This broth is full of tons of antioxidants plus potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc and other magical nutrients that can help boost your immune system! Use it as part of another recipe that calls for chicken broth or vegetable broth, or just drink it because you love it!
Makes 6 cups of broth
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours
3 Unpeeled Carrots, cut off ends, cut into thirds
1/2 Yellow Onion, cut into chunks
1 Bunch of Green Onions, cut in half
4 Unpeeled Red Potatoes cut in half
1 Unpeeled Yam, cut into 4 parts
5 Cloves of Garlic, halved
1/2 Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
4 pieces of Seaweed
1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Salt
12 Cups Cold Water, filtered is best
- Wash and scrub all vegetables well and leave the peels on.
- Prepare all vegetables by cutting as stated in the ingredients.
- Place all ingredients in a large pot on the stove.
- Bring pot to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let the broth simmer for 2 hours covered.
- Place a strainer over a large bowl in the sink and pour the broth over the strainer.
- Pour strained broth into small containers (I like measuring 1 cup portions) and use within 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information per cup:
32 Calories, 0 grams Total Fat, 7 grams Total Carbohydrate, 1 gram Dietary Fiber, 1 gram Protein